[chbot] Atmel Programmers

Jasper Mackenzie jasper.mackenzie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 23:36:58 BST 2011

Good day,
  At the last meeting I was talking to a few of you about programmers as I
need to move away from the wonderful butterfly to more wonderful things
like attiny's...

The person who knew I would forget their name, had built a ladyada
programmer which he had modified for single sided board, could you post a
pdf of the board please, as I dont use eagle. I am using FreePCB (win)

Synco said he was using a usbprog which does seem like a very complete
programmer. My questions with this programmer are:
  a) can it do 1-wire debug - I couldn't find anything on the the usbprog
website to suggest so. If not, is there a DIY programmer that does?
  b) How in the heck as a total C n00b do I use the jtag etc. meaningfully?
  c) Did this come as a kit, is there a single sided version of the
board... i.e what route to fabrication did you take.

Synco, you also mentioned that instead of a dedicated debugger it is
easier to pulse a pin or use a uart, I guess much the same as I was doing
with the Butterfly LCD.

Anyway, any other thoughts? especially as to how to use and how useful
debugging is on these chips. I am using gcc-avr in a GNU/Linux environment.

Cheers

Jasper