[chbot] FPGAs again ... how to pay?

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sun Jul 31 23:38:05 BST 2011

On Sunday 31 July 2011 17:55:17 Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Thu 28 Jul 2011 13:16:50 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
> > I don't live in town, so it will be easiest for everyone if I can drop
> > off the units with someone on the Western side of town and people can
> > pick them up from there. Anyone want to play that role?
>
> Happy to do so if you like, I'm in Hoon Hay. Perhaps someone else is
> more conveniently located.
>
> Import duty + GST will be an issue. The rule is that if 15% of (value of
> goods + shipping cost + import duty if any) is < NZ$50, customs doesn't
> care to collect it. Assuming no duty (on electronics I think that's
> true) that leaves NZ$333 for (content value + postage) per parcel. That
> fits 3 kits. IIRC shipping was US$40 so makes it not too different to
> paying GST. If you care, check the final sums and split the order into 3
> if it works out worthwhile, taking into account your time and how fast
> you want it. The customs payment process was that they hold the parcel,
> send a postcard, wait for payment, and then send on the parcel. I'm not
> in a hurry (no shortage of other projects).

Yes you can manage parcel size to reduce GST, but that will drive up shipping
costs. It will end up being a few dollars one way or the other.

GST can be claimed back by those with a business interest. Others,.... well
let'stalk one-to-one.

I import quite a bit of stuff, so I am aware of the process. Since I live far
out of town on RD, I often ask the shippers to hold the stuff for me at the
depot anyway.

-- CHarles