[chbot] FPGAs again ... how to pay?

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Sun Jul 31 07:44:35 BST 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 17:55 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Import duty + GST will be an issue. The rule is that if 15% of (value
> of goods + shipping cost + import duty if any) is < NZ$50, customs
> doesn't care to collect it. Assuming no duty (on electronics I think
> that's true)

Correct.

> that leaves NZ$333 for (content value + postage) per parcel. That
> fits 3 kits. IIRC shipping was US$40 so makes it not too different to
> paying GST. If you care, check the final sums and split the order into
> 3 if it works out worthwhile, taking into account your time and how
> fast you want it. The customs payment process was that they hold the
> parcel, send a postcard, wait for payment, and then send on the
> parcel.

There are a couple of other things to take into account ;

1. Foreign exchange charges on the payment. Usually $20-40 for money
transfer or 2% for credit card.

2. For a shipment on which GST is collected, customs/clearance fees and
disbursement charge. These depend on who the final company is that
clears it for you (which in turn depends on the shipping method). If
it's DHL/Fedex/UPS/etc. then it should be in the range of $40-60. If
it's NZ Post it will be more like $120.

Just something to make sure the organiser is aware of.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand supplier of VoIP & Hobby Electronics