[chbot] FPGAs again

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jul 22 10:40:12 BST 2011

On Fri 22 Jul 2011 15:37:01 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:

> I believe the last discussion on FPGAs was silenced by the Feb earthquakes.

:-(

> The choice is really between:
> * Cheapest: $49
> * Pay a bit more but get much more toys (DE0-nano): $39.

So the choice is between cheapest and really cheapest... :-))

I would be interested. The potential to run Linux sounds good.
But I don't remember the story about development tools. Do they run *on*
Linux too? There appears to be nothing mentioning Linux on terasic's
site, although Altera seems to have at least heard of it and has
software for it, but I am unsure as to the extent of this and what all
those names on te Altera site mean.

Did anyone have a look at Linux as development platform, and what was
the result?

Thanks,

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.