[chbot] building CNC router - was Free stepper motors

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Sat Jul 2 10:04:48 BST 2011

SKF on Annex road.

I just took them out and went in with them in hand and said 'you got
anything better than these' or words to that effect.  That was 4 years
or so ago, I think they've moved now?  Anyway, they were a common size.
Take it apart measure up and go from there.  From memory the better
quality bearings were nearly $40 for the pair, 1/3rd the value of a new
Dremel....  Says something about the quality of the tool I suppose.

The other issue mine had was that the bearings were not a snug fit in
the case, which was more of a problem than the quality of the bearings.

I filled the sides of the old bearing with plasticine and then roughed
up the seat a little.  The I put a tiny dribble of slow set epoxy in
there, and pushed the bearing in making sure no epoxy got on the join
line and screwed it back together for the night.  I repeated that twice,
once per side of the case to avoid gluing it together. :-)

Cheers, Me.