[chbot] building CNC router - was Free stepper motors

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Fri Jul 1 10:14:38 BST 2011

Hi-ho,

I've done a bit of work on CNC control systems in the past, and have
been interested in a hobby sense since about 2005 when I retro-fitted by
Lathe.  (Which I sold... I regret that now, long story)

Back in '08 built the 'junk box' cnc router, and I'm currently planning
a much larger router buy/build project.  (buy vs build depending on how
much money the bank will lend me!)

The build thread for my junker is on cnczone here which has a lot of the
gruesome details:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/33153-kiwi_junk-box_mini_router.html

I've done some PCB drilling with the small router, but never got around
to trying routing a board.  The main output from it has been dolls
furniture and dinosaur skeletons :-).

Cheers, Me.