[chbot] OT....what should it cost?

Carl Ranson carl.ranson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:17:02 GMT 2011

On 25/01/2011 10:27 p.m., Mark Atherton wrote:
> for component video (RGBHV) you may need up to 5 runs of coax.

I was thinking it would be RGB video (is this not the same as component?
If not, what's the difference?) and two channels of audio.

> Then it needs pulling and terminating each end.
>
> is the 20m the overall run  (up, across down + tails) or point to
> point distance ?

20m is the longest run. add 2 * 10m runs as well for a total of 200m
assuming 5 coax per run.
> Also a 100m reel of 75 ohm coax is going to be much cheaper than by-the-metre
>
> What wall plates to you want (SCART, BNC, RCA) ?

My expectation was 5xRCA for RGB + 2chan audio.

> You can also get single sheathed component coax which is quite
> expensive which may be what is being quoted.
>
> what about future updates - HDMI etc, is analog short sighted ?

2 out of 3 rooms have HDMI capable TV. Is hdmi cable likely to be
cheaper than 5xCoax?
Plus I already have 4xCat5e to each room. Would I be better considering
HDMI over cat5.
Being digital eliminates various signal problems, yes?