[chbot] 3D Printing

follower follower at rancidbacon.com
Sun Nov 14 10:50:27 GMT 2010

On 14 November 2010 21:13, Richard Jones <rjtp at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> Anyone have any thoughts/experience about making a 3D printer?
About six months ago the Spacecraft group got pledges for about half
the anticipated cost (~$NZ1500) of a Cupcake CNC/MakerBot:
<http://groups.google.com/group/chchspace/web/spacecraft-bot-a-thon>

Given I got distracted by work, venue logistics and numbers dropped we
didn't follow through on the purchase.

I would suggest a MakerBot kit over a RepRap for "off the shelf"
friendliness. I think the Wellington Maker group have a RepRap of some
variety--I'm not sure how much use it gets.

A guy I know in Palmerston North has a MakerBot, I'm not aware of
anyone locally.

There's potentially still interest for funding one among people from
the "virtual" part of the Spacecraft community and the NZ dollar is
probably in a better position for it now than six months ago.

--Philip;