[chbot] 3D Printing

James Robertson j.robertson.nz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 10:05:29 GMT 2010

Hi Richard,

Have you heard of the Reprap?
http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

<http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page>It prints plastic parts (I believe some
people have had success printing circuit boards too) with the idea being
that it can print most of the parts required to make another one. The
fundamental idea behind the group is that someone will give you the plastic
components at cost to get started (presuming you're willing to pay it
forward).

One of the key guys behind it is Vik Olliver from Auckland. I got in touch
with him earlier in the year to source the parts, there was a kiwi company
selling kitsets of the "Darwin" model but I can't find the name. I will try
again tomorrow and we can talk more at the meeting. I never bought the parts
(they were $1000 - more than I think it needs to be)

Cheers,
James