[chbot] Kiwibots and Vex

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Tue May 4 21:27:32 BST 2010

At our last meeting Hanno mentioned compatibility with Vex in relation to
his new TBot, and yesterday coincidentally I received a phone call from
Chris Hamling at Vex who is organising a national schools robotics
competition under the banner of Kiwibots, but not in relation to our club
which we advertise as Kiwibots. Some of you may have seen the TV coverage of
their competition last month. See http://vexrobotics.co.nz/ Presumably they
did not bother to google the name before adopting it.

Chris Hamling hopes to visit Christchurch in the near future and would like
to meet with local robot enthusiasts, especially those of school age, or
teachers who would be interested sending teams to a regional final. I'll
keep everyone posted and publish a date, time and venue to meet when we have
one.

I have not found any competition rules published for NZ, I'm particularly
trying to figure out any association between the competition and Vex parts.
Their mission "To inspire a passion for Science and Technology" is
excellent.

Any thoughts welcome.

Richard Jones (also copied to Chris Hamling c.hamling at vexrobotics.co.nz )