[chbot] Cheap opto components

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 18 20:42:03 BST 2009

Doh,

I missed the opto components in 3.5" floppies. Thanks Andrew.

One advantage of the Trademe components is the availability of data sheets
and consistency of performance. For my wall sensors I need six reasonably
matched emitter and detector pairs as I'm doing maths with the results. The
data sheets tell me I can pulse the LEDs with 10A for 1us or 3A for 10us
from memory. Not sure I would do that to an unknown component and expect it
to survive!

I also have a single 5.25" floppy drive waiting to have the stepper motor
taken out. A stepper micromouse design is planned as a followup to the
optical and sonar brush motor mice that I have at the moment.I think the
parallax propeller will make an excellent stepper mouse controller.
Dedicating a cog to each sonar and stepper motor channel still leaves 3 for
other activities.

Morris is all fired up on printer parts. Any other devices we should be
looking out for? I know photocopiers look interesting but I've not found
one to take apart yet.

How is life in Korea?

Richard