[chbot] Projector vs S-Video

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 07:49:53 BST 2009

On Thu, April 2, 2009 07:20, John Wynyard wrote:
> Hi All
>

> This is off the general robotics topic but I'm looking for advice about
> connecting a projector to a computer via S-video.
>
> I have a JVC D-ILA projector that does not have a VGA input therefore we
> have to use S-video to connect it to a computer (HDMI = $$).  When I
> connect a computer (I've tried multiple units, laptops & pc) the
> projected image is blurry. The projector works wonderfully with DVD and
> other home theatre inputs.  So far  I've adjusted the focus, reduced the
> distance between the computer and projector and played around with
> graphics card settings and nothing improves the situation.
>
> I've run out of ideas so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi John,

You don't specify the model of the projector, but I did find this one,
which is older and has no VGA input.  Or rather, it doesn't say that it
does have VGA input:

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/JVC-DLA-M2000LU-projector.html

Anyway, the important thing is to know the projector's native resolution.
It could be as low as 640x480, which is adequate for TV (in the link above
it's 1365 x 1024).  When you set up the S-video output from the PC, make
sure that the resolution is set close to the native resolution of the
projector.  If it's not then the projector will squash or stretch the
image to match the native resolution.

If it's still bad you could consider a converter box from VGA to S-video.
Maybe a $100 or so, but might be different (might even be better, or might
not).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AverMedia-AVerKey-Lite/dp/B0000CEARD

You can also get USB->HDMI adaptors:

http://www.cooldrives.com/usb-hdmi-adapter-dvi.html

Basically, it's a USB video card, with an HDMI output instead of VGA.  No
idea of cost.

Good luck,

Andrew