[chbot] Anyone tried LEDs as light sensors

QtuTrains Howard at QtuTrains.com
Mon Nov 10 20:38:17 GMT 2008

On 10/11/2008, at 7:54 , Richard Jones wrote:

> Any idea what the equivalent circuit of the reverse biased green
> LED photo
> detector might be?

The same as all semiconductor junctions.

Remember the OC71 transistor (a while ago now :-) in the black
plastic package. Scrape off the black paint and you had made a photo
transistor.

A photon hitting a semiconductor (or probably any material) releases
an electron (I seem to remember an otherwise stable electron receives
energy from the photon causing it to move to a higher orbit, or even
escaping the atom).

The free electron becomes a leakage current in a reverse biased
diode, or a base current in a transistor (and hence amplified).

In a reverse biased state an LED is just a (very low breakdown
voltage) semiconductor diode in a transparent or translucent case.

So I guess an equivalent circuit (for reverse bias only) might be:

1. perfect diode

in parallel with

2. Low voltage single use zener diode (reverse bias destructive
breakdown condition). Somewhere between 5 and 12V I guess.

in parallel with

3. constant current small value leakage

in parallel with

4. variable current leakage directly proportional to the number of
photons (visible or not, as filtered by LED housing) impacting the
junction with sufficient energy received to release an electron.

I wonder if one can use a trio of LEDs (red, green, blue all with
coloured housings) to make a colour sensitive light detector....

Howard