[chbot] Anyone tried LEDs as light sensors

Richard Jones rjtp at ihug.co.nz
Mon Nov 10 06:54:42 GMT 2008

Dead mice are a good source of photo transistors, IR LEDs, red LEDs, handy
wheels etc.
We've given away several at the Free Stuff table for building into robots,
and I think I have one more coming tomorrow...

To compare photo current over a wide dynamic range I've used a photo
transistor to charge a capacitor. Short out the capacitor with the output
port set to 0, then set the port to input and time the transition to logic
1. Time to a set threshold being proportional to the incident light. Use
two photo transistors to work out where the most light is.

Add protective resistors to limit current flow to datasheet values.

 -+- +ve

|/ Photo transistor
|\

  +------ Port Pin

 ---
 ---

 -+- 0V

Any idea what the equivalent circuit of the reverse biased green LED photo
detector might be?

Richard