[chbot] stampalikes?

Michael Pearce mike at kiwacan.co.nz
Wed Feb 27 01:32:26 GMT 2008

I am actually working on a later version of the USB module I had.
Uses a 32bit Micro (PIC32MX460F512L) and has USB OTG
MiniBASIC is currently being ported to the PIC18 and PIC32 Family

USB options

1. Appears as serial port so can program with internal editor.
2. Appears as Mass Storage so you just copy the .bas file across to it.
3. Plug in a USB keyboard and use an LCD screen

Hoping to have a low end version retailing for about $20 or less -
PIC32MX460F256L + USB + EEPROM + Connector.
Also a high end version with 3.5" QVGA, Joysticks, stereo speakers,
Transflash, Li-Ion battery, USB and Ethernet hopefully for around US$160

Mike

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Chris Hellyar <chris at trash.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi-ho,
>
> Does anyone else on the list have a use for a 'stampalike' device?
>
> (Here we go again, re-inventing the wheel!)
>
> I'm getting keen on the idea of a gcbasic/bootloader stampalike for a
> cheap alternative to basic stamps.
>
> I've used quite a few stamps but I think they are a tad over-priced
> here. They are, however, immensely useful gadgets for fast prototyping
> and one off solutions.
>
> The 'killer app' part of the stamp solution is how well integrated the
> software is.  I'm pretty sure that you can get close with some of the
> bootloader/IDE solutions around the place, with a little bit of initial
> fiddling to get it set up.
>
> Yes, I know this would just be 'another' development board, and yes, I
> know that lots of people (including Mike on this list) already make such
> things...  And yes, I can just slap a PIC on a bit of vero-board and
> write assembly code for it in about the same time it'd take me to do it
> in basic for some things.
>
> If everything was sensible, no-one would have ever figured out how to
> milk a cow, would they?
>
> I was thinking something with a 28pin 40Mhz 18F (2431?) PIC, regulator,
> and resonator on an wide 28pin DIP carrier?.  A sledgehammer stamp for
> about $25.  Good idea, or waste of time?

Kiwacan
Electronics Design
Concept to Production
http://www.kiwacan.co.nz