[chbot] ChchRobotics email list Mailman traps.

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Mon Aug 25 05:38:23 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Richard Jones <rjtp at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> I think Charles got trapped as I did sending to Mailman from an email
> address other than the registered one. Emails seem to just get silently
> discarded, probably to protect us from spam. I don't know how to fix this
> so as a poor work around...
>
> I've added a line to the
> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/chchrobotics 'about' section to
> encourage people to register with mailman from every email address you
> would like to send from. The text reads:
>
> "Only members may send to and receive from this list. Members are
> recognised by their email address, so register each email address you send
> from."
>
> Richard

They are bounced not automatically discarded. ie the sender should receive
back a message that tells him his message has been bounced as it is not from
a subscribed address. I know because I just did it in my first reply to you
(how ironic is that).

I can change it to "hold" in which case some poor moderator (ie me) has to
go and see whether to let it through. I'd rather people just learned to post
from the correct address (or like you say, subscribe from the addresses they
want to send from).

The options for non subscriber messages are:

accept (not on your nellie its a spammers' charter!)
hold for moderation
bounce (set currently)
discard (drop it on the floor with no further processing).