[chbot] Thanks for all the fish

Ian Tennant chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 1 May 2007 21:22:51 +1200

Good luck Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: chchrobotics-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
[mailto:chchrobotics-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Andrew
Errington
Sent: Tuesday, 1 May 2007 10:50 a.m.
To: chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Subject: [chbot] Thanks for all the fish

Hi all,

Well, some of you know this, but to others it will be news.  I am =
leaving=20
New Zealand to teach English in Japan for a while.  This is a fantastic=20
opportunity for me, and I'm very much looking forward to it.  I must=20
apologise as submitting the application, studying Japanese, and =
preparing=20
the house for sale has eaten into my robot-building time.  I leave at =
the=20
end of July.

I have been giving some thought to the future of the =
club/society/whatever=20
we call ourselves, and it is clear to me that the majority of you would=20
want it to continue in some form or other.  As I see it, there are two=20
facets of the group.  The first is the mailing list.  Although it is =
fairly=20
low-traffic I think the quality of discussion is very high.  People are=20
talking about their projects, asking questions and getting answers.  The =

mailing list is hosted by Jim Cheetham and administered by Nick Rout =
(thank=20
you both).  There is no problem with the continued existence of the list =
in=20
its current form.

The second aspect is the real-life meetings.  I'd like to thank all of =
you=20
who have become 'regulars', and I hope that the meetings have been=20
interesting and useful for you.  I'd like to thank everyone else who has =

showed up from time-to-time.  I know it's difficult to schedule free =
time=20
to come along, but your attendance is appreciated.  I cannot say what =
the=20
future of these meetings will be, but before I leave there will be one=20
further meeting on 20 June.

I would like to hear from anyone who would be prepared to take over the=20
'running' of the group.  This is not imperative: the mailing list will=20
continue without a person in this position, but the meetings will not. =20
Running the group is not an onerous task, but you do need some =
committment=20
(otherwise rooms won't get booked, people won't show up, mailing lists=20
won't get unclogged etc. etc.).  Unfortunately my arrangement with =
Science=20
Alive! will not automatically be conferred onto my successor.  It might =
be=20
possible to renegotiate, or my successor might have to find a new venue. =
=20
Of course, I have done this in the past, and I have been helped by you =
all,=20
so the new incumbent will not be completely alone and without resources.

I'd like to thank everybody who has been associated with this group for=20
your interest and support, it's been fun, which is what it's all about.

Best wishes,

Andrew