[chbot] Thanks for all the fish

Andrew Errington chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 01 May 2007 10:50:26 +1200

Hi all,

Well, some of you know this, but to others it will be news.  I am leaving
New Zealand to teach English in Japan for a while.  This is a fantastic
opportunity for me, and I'm very much looking forward to it.  I must
apologise as submitting the application, studying Japanese, and preparing
the house for sale has eaten into my robot-building time.  I leave at the
end of July.

I have been giving some thought to the future of the club/society/whatever
we call ourselves, and it is clear to me that the majority of you would
want it to continue in some form or other.  As I see it, there are two
facets of the group.  The first is the mailing list.  Although it is fairly
low-traffic I think the quality of discussion is very high.  People are
talking about their projects, asking questions and getting answers.  The
mailing list is hosted by Jim Cheetham and administered by Nick Rout (thank
you both).  There is no problem with the continued existence of the list in
its current form.

The second aspect is the real-life meetings.  I'd like to thank all of you
who have become 'regulars', and I hope that the meetings have been
interesting and useful for you.  I'd like to thank everyone else who has
showed up from time-to-time.  I know it's difficult to schedule free time
to come along, but your attendance is appreciated.  I cannot say what the
future of these meetings will be, but before I leave there will be one
further meeting on 20 June.

I would like to hear from anyone who would be prepared to take over the
'running' of the group.  This is not imperative: the mailing list will
continue without a person in this position, but the meetings will not.
Running the group is not an onerous task, but you do need some committment
(otherwise rooms won't get booked, people won't show up, mailing lists
won't get unclogged etc. etc.).  Unfortunately my arrangement with Science
Alive! will not automatically be conferred onto my successor.  It might be
possible to renegotiate, or my successor might have to find a new venue.
Of course, I have done this in the past, and I have been helped by you all,
so the new incumbent will not be completely alone and without resources.

I'd like to thank everybody who has been associated with this group for
your interest and support, it's been fun, which is what it's all about.

Best wishes,

Andrew