[Templates] Template Tookit Vs HTML::Template

Simon Wilcox essuu@ourshack.com
15 Nov 2002 13:22:48 +0000

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 13:05, Rafiq Ismail (ADMIN) wrote:

> I have to provide sound arguments as to why our prospective new system
> shouldn't move away from TT2 and use HTML::Template instead.

On many levels of course there isn't much to choose between them. You
already have TT2 in use so there are some retraining costs to be thought
about. Management tend not to like paying just to re-attain the previous
level of productivity :)

For me, the killer difference is the different ways that each system
achieves variable interpolation. As I understand it, H::T only
substitutes simple scalars whereas TT2 can handle many different types
and Just Work [tm].

I think this has two benefits:

(a) makes it easier for the designers to understand the variables names,
e.g. you can group like variables together, that is, in a hash

(b) it makes it faster and easier to maintain the code, as you don't
have to worry about flattening out your objects to pass to H::T.

Just my 0.02.

Simon.