[mythtvnz] SkyStar 2 DVB-S card failing to load after 20.04 upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Oct 19 17:08:52 BST 2021

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:53:25 +1300, you wrote:

>> But you should not need the patch if you are happy to use input 3.
>>
>> I am getting my OpenTV EPG from the DVB-S multiplex on 12519 like you,
>> but if you want to get it from one of the DVB-S2 multiplexes, you will
>> need to set up dvbtune to do DVB-S2 by changing the -fec option to 2_3
>> and using the -8psk option.
>
>Greetings
>
>I'm looking to move from a TBS6281 (DVB-T) & TBS6982 (DVB-S) combo to a HD
>Homerun Quatro (so I don't have to patch the kernel on every update).
>
>Can I get my EPG from this setup (using mhegepgsnoop) or will I have to
>keep the 6281 card in the backend for when epg.org.nz goes awol?
>
>Cheers

Mhegepgsnoop is only able to talk to /dev/dvb hardware tuners, so no,
you will not be able to use it to get EPG from network tuners, unless
you can find a dvbloopback driver that will talk to the network tuners
and create a /dev/dvb tuner from them.  And doing that will probably
need recompiling with each kernel, which defeats the purpose of using
network tuners.

TVHeadend can use network tuners - it may be able to get MHEG EPG from
them, but you would need to check.  Then it can export EPG data, but I
am not sure if that can be automated.

EPG Collector on Windows may be able to talk to HDHomerun tuners - it
does do SAT>IP, but I am not sure about HDHomeruns.  It can be
automated via scripts, so if you have a Windows box to run it on, that
could be a decent backup solution.

There do seem to be Python libraries available to talk to HDHomeruns,
so it should be possible to use them to do a modified version of
mhegepgsnoop that talks to HDHomeruns.  I think that would be a very
useful feature for mhegepgsnoop as there are quite a few people in NZ
using them with MythTV.

It is also possible to automate the compilation of the TBS drivers
when the kernel gets updated.  Either by using DKMS, or by having a
script that is run at boot time and detects that the /dev/dvb tuners
are gone and runs the script that compiles and installs the drivers
and does an automatic reboot afterwards.  DKMS would be preferable, as
that would only need one reboot for a kernel update, but it would
likely be complicated.  Whereas automatic boot time detection is
fairly simple - I have been thinking about setting that up on my
MythTV box.  The only complicated bit would be detecting that it has
already compiled the drivers against the current kernel and then sees
the tuners missing, so it should not try again and should not reboot
and instead should call for help.  That could be done by having a file
with the kernel number in it that gets created when the compile and
install has been done.