[mythtvnz] Python 3

Austin Green austin.green at orcon.net.nz
Wed Mar 10 03:48:55 GMT 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 15:10:28 +1300
Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:46:18 +1300, Austin Green wrote:
> >Recently decided to make Python 3 the default on my system, since Python 2.7 is officially dead.  The EPG update stopped working.  Is there a Python 3 version of the MythTV module?  Currently working round it by forcing mhegepgsnoop.py to run with python2, but would prefer a 'proper' fix.
>
> That is what I am doing.  I did try making a Python 3 version of
> mhegepgsnoop.py but did not get it fully working as I do not
> understand the MHEG5 protocol so I did not understand what some of the
> code was supposed to be doing.  The problem was that the MHEG-5
> standards documents are paywalled - and cost heaps.  But today I did
> another search and found one that says it is the final draft of
> MHEG-5, which would probably be good enough for me to use.  So I will
> have another look at getting mhegepgsnoop.py working with Python 3.

No big deal to convert mhegepgsnoop.py, just the format of 'print' calls and one IO exception; don't need to understand what it's trying to do (fortunately!).  The problem arises when it tries to use the Python MythTV API - it complains "No module named 'MythTV'".  There is indeed no Python3 version of the MythTV module, or if there is, the pip installer doesn't know where to find it (and nor do I).  But surely someone will have done a Python 3 version of it by now?