[mythtvnz] New install - mythbackend password not accepted

Paul paulgir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 04:31:30 BST 2021

> Ouch!  Sorry about that.  I have posted a follow up message.
>
>> I chose to reinstall the OS and MCP yesterday. I haven't got around to
>> using MCP to install mythtv yet.
>>
>> One question: I use ACPI wakeup and Mythwelcome. Will the changes in the
>> start and stop commands affect how ACPI wakeup and Mythwelcome function?
>>
>> -Paul
> I have never used ACPI wakeup and Mythwelcome, so I do not know what
> effect the above commands have on it.  I would have thought that
> having to type in a password would have made the ACPI code
> non-functional and my helper scripts might make it work again, but I
> do not actually know if the ACPI code uses those settings or has some
> other way of doing shutdowns.

I installed your helper scripts and it is looking good but with a couple
of idiosyncrasies.

I was running htop on a second workspace to monitor the stopping and
starting of the backend.

When I start myth backend setup  a small dialogue opens stating that
myth backend needs to be closed > selecting 'Yes' results in a mythtv
dialogue asking for a password - which won't accept the sudo password or
any password in the known universe. NB there are two users: the Xubuntu
user called myth and mythtv , I don't know if that is enlightening.

The password dialogue is despatched into the land of wind and ghosts
with a simple esc keystroke or clicking 'X' or "Cancel"

A terminal window shows myth backend setup starting.

Myth backend setup opens and states the backend is running and htop
confirms this > selecting 'stop backend' closes the message box and
,after 10 seconds,myth backend setup is ready for use.

Exiting myth backend setup results in the GUI closing , A terminal
window shows myth backend  starting, a mythtv dialogue asking for a
password appears which is  closed with an "esc" . A dialogue opens
asking if I want to run mythfilldatabase.

htop confirms myth backend is running.

When the helper script commands had the error (typo) the 10 second delay
was where the Myth backend setup would hang indefinitely.

Except for the irrelevant password requests it seems to be behaving
pretty much the same as my existing Mythbuntu 16.04 installation.

>   mysql> select * from settings where data like '%helper%' order by hostname;
> +---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+-------------+
> | value               | data                                                      | hostname    |
> +---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+-------------+
> | ServerHaltCommand   | sudo /home/mythtv/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh halt     | NULL        |
> | BackendStopCommand  | sudo /home/mythtv/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh stop     | NULL        |
> | BackendStartCommand | sudo /home/mythtv/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh start    | NULL        |
> | HaltCommand         | sudo /home/mythtv/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh poweroff | myth-system |
> | RebootCommand       | sudo /home/mythtv/bin/mythtv-systemctl-helper.sh reboot   | myth-system |
> 5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Set up will continue over following days.

Thanks

Paul