[mythtvnz] New install - mythbackend password not accepted

Paul paulgir at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 18:16:47 BST 2021

On 3/04/21 9:39 pm, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 17:20:44 +1300, you wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I'm in the process of doing a new install of mythtv on xubuntu 20.04 and
>> using Mythbuntu Control Panel
>>
>> I've come upon this problem where ,in mythbackend setup where it asks
>> you to stop the backend and requires the password ,it does not accept
>> any password.
>>
>> I've tried the operating system user password , set the Host Address
>> Backend SetupĀ  security PIN to 0000 and tried that, tried a blank
>> password ,tried "root" and many others.
>>
>> What I have been doing is entering blank three times in a row and it the
>> asks if I want to run mythfilldatabase. It seems to retain all my settings.
>>
>> I have a vague memory that I ran into this before but searches have been
>> fruitless.
>>

>> Also ,what's with the mythtvnz archives? they are a total disaster as
>> far as searching for anything ,or am I missing something?
>>

>> Paul
> The password for stopping and starting things that are run by root is
> the sudo password.  This is the password you are asked for when the
> installer creates your initial (admin enabled) account at the start of
> the install process, and the same password that you need to use to
> login to your user account if you have not set it to autologin.
>
> If you have set it up to autologin and have forgotten the normal login
> password, you can reset it by opening a terminal and using the
> "passwd" command.  There is probably also a GUI way of doing that.
>
> The root account is not set up with a password by default.  To use it,
> you can do "sudo su" from your user account, or you can set a root
> password with "sudo passwd".
>
> I have an alternate way of setting up mythfrontend where it uses an
> sudo helper script to do systemctl commands so that it does not need
> to ask for the password to stop mythbackend.  You can find it here:
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/625993

Thanks Stephen I'll give that a try.

I did set autologin and the sudo password does fail to work to authorise
backend stop/start.

P.S. you also answered my comment about the mailing list archive.

I had been looking at this:
http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/mythtvnz/
<http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/mythtvnz/>

I never managed to find the correct pages on carbo60.com

I'll let you know how I get on with the scripts.

-Paul