[mythtvnz] New install - mythbackend password not accepted

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 3 09:39:39 BST 2021

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 17:20:44 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I'm in the process of doing a new install of mythtv on xubuntu 20.04 and
>using Mythbuntu Control Panel
>
>I've come upon this problem where ,in mythbackend setup where it asks
>you to stop the backend and requires the password ,it does not accept
>any password.
>
>I've tried the operating system user password , set the Host Address
>Backend SetupĀ  security PIN to 0000 and tried that, tried a blank
>password ,tried "root" and many others.
>
>What I have been doing is entering blank three times in a row and it the
>asks if I want to run mythfilldatabase. It seems to retain all my settings.
>
>I have a vague memory that I ran into this before but searches have been
>fruitless.
>

>Also ,what's with the mythtvnz archives? they are a total disaster as
>far as searching for anything ,or am I missing something?
>

>Paul

The password for stopping and starting things that are run by root is
the sudo password.  This is the password you are asked for when the
installer creates your initial (admin enabled) account at the start of
the install process, and the same password that you need to use to
login to your user account if you have not set it to autologin.

If you have set it up to autologin and have forgotten the normal login
password, you can reset it by opening a terminal and using the
"passwd" command.  There is probably also a GUI way of doing that.

The root account is not set up with a password by default.  To use it,
you can do "sudo su" from your user account, or you can set a root
password with "sudo passwd".

I have an alternate way of setting up mythfrontend where it uses an
sudo helper script to do systemctl commands so that it does not need
to ask for the password to stop mythbackend.  You can find it here:

https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/625993