[mythtvnz] Frontend died - replacement?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Nov 21 15:55:09 GMT 2020

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 22:46:41 +1300, you wrote:

>My Frontend has just died & I'm using a spare - which I can't seem to get
>smooth video on.
>
>The replacement is a Gigabyte Brix with a quad core J1900 Celeron clocked
>@ 2G with 4G of RAM and a 32G SSD. This should be more than enough for a
>1920x1080 display but I'm getting lots of jaggies on movement and some
>videos (H264 - probably captured off Freeview) have micropauses that makes
>the sound stutter.
>
>Any idea on what video profile I should use? I'm still on 0.28 and its so
>long since I set up the original that I can't remember how to navigate to
>the 'in depth' setup screens.
>
>Failing getting the Brix working, any ideas on a decent replacement? I'm
>thinking an i5 NUC but maybe that's an overkill (and by the time RAM, disk
>etc is added it getting pricey!).
>
>Cheers

That sounds like you are having problems with the deinterlacing.  As
best I can recall, older Intel GPUs do not have the best of
interlacing modes in hardware, but they should do better than that. So
I think you are trying to do it all in the CPU and it is not good
enough for that.  Try playing a 1080p video - it should play fine.  If
so, then look at the hardware deinterlacing options in the VAAPI
settings and see if you can get an acceptable picture with them.  Also
see if you have the display profile set to use all cores of the CPU -
it may default to using 1 core only.

It might be time to upgrade also - v31 has major rendering upgrades,
including better support for Intel video hardware.