[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu / MythTV 0.29

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri May 29 03:51:59 BST 2020

On Fri, 29 May 2020 06:55:27 +1200, you wrote:

>Thanks for the info Stephen
>
>I use a wireless USB mini keyboard so no lirc .No Mythweb either.
>
>I will be  doing a fresh install on a separate SSD and keeping the
>existing install until everything works.
>
>So I couldn't go from 0.29 to 0.31 right now if I wanted to. Is there
>any advantage upgrading the existing  system to 0.30 before transferring
>the database to the new install?
>
>Because I'm doing the new install on a separate drive ,I can leave the
>database transfer till the install is running properly.
>
>I prefer to do fresh installs rather than upgrades but I was not aware
>that Mythbuntu could be upgraded now that the distro is no longer
>supported/developed.
>
>I'm in no rush to do a new install, so I will wait to see what your
>experience with 20.04 is.
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul

I can not see any real advantage in upgrading from 0.29 to v30 for
just a few days.  But it is not a troublesome upgrade, if you want to
do it.

Yes, you can upgrade Mythbuntu systems.  They are based on Xubuntu,
which is still going strong and being upgraded in step with the main
Ubuntu distro.  Only the Mythbuntu specific packages like Mythbuntu
Control Centre are gone.  When installing a new Ubuntu system for use
with MythTV, it is probably better to install Xubuntu rather than
Ubuntu.  The differences between versions of Ubuntu are only what
packages are installed, not that they use different package
repositories.  You can turn a Mythbuntu/Xubuntu system into a Ubuntu
one just by installing the packages for the Ubuntu desktop.  And you
do not have to uninstall the Xubuntu desktop - you can swap between
them by logging out and logging in again using a different desktop.