[mythtvnz] Recommendations for a new backend...

Andy Gardner zl3ag at radioengineering.com
Tue Apr 30 10:55:40 BST 2019

On 30/04/19 6:17 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> Do remember the electricity bill.  Modern motherboards use much less
> power than old ones.  There has been a noticeable decrease in our bill
> from the time I updated the 24x7 PCs here.  My main MythTV box went
> from over 200 W down to around 120-130 W when idle.
>
> In terms of network tuners, there are more than just HDHomeruns
> available.  And you can turn any tuner into a networked one by running
> TVHeadEnd on the PC they are attached to.  There is also Windows
> software from some tuner manufacturers (eg TBS) that makes their
> tuners into networked ones on Windows boxes.

I run an HP i5 all-in-one (mounted on a wall out of the way), with a USB3 external 1TB HDD and 4 USB TV tuners (the $5 RTL ones off aliexpress) wired into one UHF antenna via a splitter, running tvheadend on Debian 9. It also does DNS for my network, PXE network booting, network backup, etc etc.

I use KODI on whatever device I want to watch video streamed from the tvheadend box.