[mythtvnz] Recommendations for a new backend...

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Apr 30 07:17:25 BST 2019

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:47:21 +1200, you wrote:

>On 30/04/19 3:51 PM, worik wrote:
>> My backend (a old HP desktop I bought off TradeMe) has finally expired.
>> So I need to build a new one.
>> What  recommendations do people have?
>> Requirements:
>> At least one SATA drive (I have two 500GB drives)
>> Quiet
>> Cheep. Of course...
>
>If the old one worked okay, then that's your minimum spec for any
>replacement.  Anything above that spec is a win.
>
>TBH its not like the backend's tasks are getting any more complex over time.
>
>An older business-grade SFF desktop is still a good option as long as it
>can take your tuner devices.  Only downside is space inside for more
>hard drives.
>

>Personally my long term plan is to do away with the physical mythtbox
>backend and replace with a VM.  That requires a networked HDHomerun (not
>yet)  and a working UHF aerial (there but not tested.)

Do remember the electricity bill.  Modern motherboards use much less
power than old ones.  There has been a noticeable decrease in our bill
from the time I updated the 24x7 PCs here.  My main MythTV box went
from over 200 W down to around 120-130 W when idle.

In terms of network tuners, there are more than just HDHomeruns
available.  And you can turn any tuner into a networked one by running
TVHeadEnd on the PC they are attached to.  There is also Windows
software from some tuner manufacturers (eg TBS) that makes their
tuners into networked ones on Windows boxes.