[mythtvnz] Lirc is a disaster in 18.04 - do not upgrade yet

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Sep 15 17:01:36 BST 2018

Version 1.3 of my lirc install script is now available:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh

This seems to now fix all the problems with getting lirc to work with
MythTV in 18.04.

The final problem I had was getting extra repeating keystrokes
appearing in X programs when using autorepeating arrow or number keys.
That seems to have been caused by the default setup for lirc
automatically enabling the lircmd and lircd-uinput daemons, which are
unneeded and hence I had not configured them.  Their default
configuration seems to cause the arrow and number keys to be sent
untranslated via an alternate path to X.  So if you have already
installed lirc with older versions of my script, all you need to do to
fix this is to run these commands as root:

systemctl stop lircmd
systemctl stop lircd-uinput
systemctl disable lircmd
systemctl disable lircd-uinput