[mythtvnz] Lirc is a disaster in 18.04 - do not upgrade yet

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Sep 8 10:44:15 BST 2018

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 20:11:34 +1200, you wrote:

>On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 9:50:23 PM NZST Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> I have not yet actually used lirc-setup to get a working lirc config
>> on my laptop - I will be getting to that over the next few days as I
>> have time.
>
>I used your script to install lirc - thanks. The main issue I found with lirc-
>setup was the gi.require_version requirements. I needed to move them up to
>after the import gi but before the rest of the related imports.
>
>So in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.6/site-packages/lirc-setup/
>mvc_control.py
>
>import gi
>gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0')
>
>and in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.6/site-packages/lirc-setup/
>mvc_view.py
>
>import gi
>gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0')
>gi.require_version('Vte', '2.91')
>
>After that it worked.
>
>Thanks

I did not have any problems running lirc-setup - what symptoms were
you having that required these changes?

I have now met the next roadblock - the liblirc_client.so library does
not work.  This takes KEY_* output from the /var/run/lirc/lircd socket
and translates them using the ~/lircrc settings for each program. When
I use "strace ircat mythtv" in 18.04.1, I can see the KEY_* values
being read from the socket, but no translation or output happens.
Under 16.04, strace shows what I expect - the KEY_* values get
translated and the correct data is output.  So now I am working on
debugging this.