[mythtvnz] Is it finally time to say goodbye to MythTV

Toby Mills millst at np.co.nz
Mon Aug 27 14:34:22 BST 2018

I’ve been a long time MythTV user. Since version 12 back in the days of
analog capture cards and sky ir diodes. It’s been a wild ride.

Last night my faithful MythTV box gave up the ghost. It’s been threatening
for a while but it looks like the power supply died and took out the ssd
boot, motherboard and also hard disk.

The box is six years old and it’s my 4th box in all those years.

My question is, is it now at the point where myth is no longer needed.
Faced with the prospect of dropping the best part of a grand on a new box
as well as precious time to rebuild (I have a newborn).
My TV is also as old and is showing its age so it’s really time to get rid
of the 50kg plasma as well.

Modern smart tv’s seem to have all of the features and more of myth so
apart from auto ad detection and the feeling of sticking it to the man, is
it actually at the point where myth is no longer needed.

I’m looking at a Panasonic oled.

Would be interested in the groups thoughts.

Toby.