[mythtvnz] HDHomeRun discover not working

Mark Kendall markk at kc.net.nz
Wed Apr 11 02:24:57 BST 2018

> So you had it on a dedicated local LAN segment that was isolated between
> the HDH and the Mythserver.
Yes, it was isolated so that only Mythserver & HDHomeRun was on it and the
subnet was set so that hdhomerun auto set it's own IP address (169...
something range I think, whatever SiliconDust specified)

> Now you've put the HDH on the main LAN and accessing it directly from
> other clients, but Mythtv can't find it?
Yet, it's now on the same LAN as the MythTV clients.  A VM running on the
Myth server can auto discover it, haven't tried from any other client as
not much else up and running yet and the VM test showed that the unit was
working.

> Sounds like you need to give the HDH a dedicated IP address, either on the
> device or by doign a DHCP reservation in your router.  Either is fine, as
> long as it means that your HDH is always at the same IP addresses.

Along with wiresharking that's what I was looking at doing next if I
couldn't get discovery to work but read that there is (or was at some
point) an issue if attempting to use multiple tuners

> Note it might have been using IPv6 addressing too - hard to know.
Pretty sure it was all IPv4 before, access at present is via IPv4 it just
seems as though it's the UDP discovery that's a problem and since it works
on another machine it all points to something different on the Ubuntu
17.10 server.

> And congrats on the house rebuild - that's truly terrifying.
Yes it was major, glad to have it (or at least the bulk of it) behind us.