[mythtvnz] HDHomeRun discover not working

Mark Kendall markk at kc.net.nz
Tue Apr 10 22:24:08 BST 2018

Hi

We've been without DVB-T for about a year and half due to house re-build,
just got the aerial installed again and have found that a couple of things
related to network and dual tuner hdhomerun don't work anymore.

The server has had a lot of Mythbuntu/Ubuntu upgrades in the past 6 or so
years and was updated from fully working (16.04 I think) to 17.10 earlier in
the year.
hdhomerun was previously plugged into a USB ethernet adapter that had a udev
rule for it to always be eth1 and eth1 was also set for a static ip.  With
the new 17.10 network setup the eth1 network works if I plug the USB
ethernet adapter into a network switch but can not be enabled if I plug it
into the hdhomerun (also tried using cross over cables just in case but
still no joy).
So, I thought for the moment I'll just put the hdhomerun on the main network
and use it there for now, unfortunately it doesn't auto discover when there,
either on a basic POE switch nor on our ADSL modem/router/switch.
The hdhomerun is working, I can access it via webpage with IP address and
can use hdhomerun_config if I specify IP address.  It'll also auto discover
if I fire up an old VM on my server and attempt auto discovery from the VM.
No iptables firewall settings are in place.
The main eth0 network adapter use to have a couple of IP addresses
associated with it, I've simplified this down to one address with a standard
255.255.255.0 mask

I may look at setting a fixed DHCP address for the hdhomerun and specifying
the IP address in mythbuntu but I read somewhere that this may be an issue
when using more than 1 tuner.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on what else I can look into to get the
auto discovery working again?

Cheers
Mark