[mythtvnz] LIRC and mySKY / Pace TDS850NNZ

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Thu Sep 28 11:52:52 BST 2017

> On 28/09/2017, at 23:01, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> I am using Mythbuntu 16.04.3 with MythTV 0.28 at present.

Cool, that’s what I have.

>  I also have
> a test PC running Mythbuntu 16.04.3 and MythTV v29.  Both work with
> Oscam and the TBS cards.  You do still have to compile the drivers to
> support the TBS6909 (and my new TBS6209 8 tuner DVB-T2 card).  But the
> drivers for them are open source ones based on the backport kernel
> multimedia drivers, so there is hope that at some point they will get
> merged into the kernel.  These new drivers also support my TBS9522,
> but do not do the automatic DVB-S to DVB-S2 switching that the old TBS
> drivers did.  That switching was never in the Linux DVB standard and
> is now deprecated.  However, I did find that the backport drivers
> caused my old Hauppauge PVR-500 card's drivers to crash on boot, where
> the standard kernel drivers worked fine with the PVR-500.  That driver
> crash caused systemd to get confused and fail to shut down the PC
> correctly - I had to use Alt-PrintScrn-RESUB to shut down.  Since I
> was no longer using the PVR-500, I just removed it.  But it is
> possible that if you have other old tuner cards, they might have
> driver problems with the new drivers.

I’ve already ordered a TBS6909 earlier tonight, via standard shipping to try and keep it under the GST limit/radar.  My backend has 2 Skystar2 DVB-S PCI cards, I ditched the PVR-150 and 350 when I put this box together, replacing them with the HD-PVR. I’ve also got a HD Homerun handling DVB-T. In theory I’ll be pulling out the 2 SkyStar2 cards for the TBS6909 so hopefully there won’t be any driver issues there.

Thanks for pointers and kick in the ass to get this moving.  8)

 - Wade