[mythtvnz] HDHomeRun and Mythbackend starting too early

Mark van Dijk mark.van.dijk.74 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 01:11:38 GMT 2017

Thanks guys for all the assistance.  I now have something working.  For
future reference, he's what I did:

Note:  applies to standard Ubuntu 17.10 install with MythTV 0.29.

1. Find the exact filename of the existing mythbackend.service in the
/etc/systemd folder for me it was:
    /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service
2. copy this file to /etc/systemd/system/
3. chown / chmod correct permissions for this new file
4. edit the [Unit] section of this file to match the following:
    [Unit]
    After=network.target mysqld.service NetworkManager-wait-online.service
pingnetwork.service
    Wants=pingnetwork.service
5. systemctl enable mythtv-backend.service

After these changes, I was hoping that the dependancy on
*NetworkManager-wait-online.service* would fix the issue.  It did not.
Mythbackend still starting up just after the network card was initialised,
but before it is assigned an IP address (i think).  I spent ages trying
different things without success.

What finally fixed it was adding one more line to the file above in the
*[Service]* section:
*   ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 5*

Yes - i know.  This is an ugly hack.  But it works, and means i can put
this behind me for now.

Cheers