[mythtvnz] MythTV 0.29 and HDHomeRun

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 2 01:40:59 GMT 2017

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 13:30:47 +1300, you wrote:

>Mark van Dijk wrote:
>> I shall have a hunt around online to see how I can delay the mythbackend
>> via systemmd.
>
>Tell me again why systemd is required ?
>
>There MUST be a way to tell systemd that mythtv-server depends on having
>networking up and running.  Look at samba or NFS server systemd files for
>hints.
>
>Personally I'm moving away from the slapfest that is systemd.  Devuan has
>some benefits being based directly on proper debian and not some
>convoluted string of ubuntu subderivatives.
>

>Separately I have a plan to run mythbackend on a VM with a HD Homerun...
>so am watching the thread with interest.

Yes, there is a way to tell systemd that mythbackend needs the network
- see the thread I referenced in my previous email.  It is just that
the systemd unit that is installed by the Mythbuntu packages does not
do it - it assumes that you are not using external frontends or
network tuners.  And getting systemd to do what is needed is not
obvious to someone without systemd experience.  It took me quite a bit
of research and testing to work it out.

Systemd is excellent for getting very short boot times with your fast
SSD boot disk.  It has a number of problems, but quite a few
advantages also.  I did a presentation for the Palmerston North Linux
Users Group (PLUG) a while ago about my experiences getting used to
systemd - it is available on my web server if you want to take a look
(LibreOffice format):

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/plug/Living_with_Systemd.odp