[mythtvnz] TiVo replacement

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 07:13:22 GMT 2017

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Peter Charlesworth <peter at charlesworth.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Robert,
>>
>> Just to let you know that your advice, generously given on Geekzone, has
>> been followed by one budding MythTV follower.  I’m currently trying to get
>> my head around all the terms and descriptions I am encountering, which I am
>> not familiar with, but I think I can get up to speed with some
>> assistance.
>>
>> Regarding the hardware, we have an old but effective “home theatre”
>> set-up, currently running through the TiVo for TV input.  The TV has HDMI,
>> the system has access to our fibre broadband, and the aerial is UHF.  The
>> PC side is where I will probably have to build from scratch, and although
>> we have a couple of defunct desktop towers, I doubt that any of the
>> contents will make the grade.  Perhaps I can use an old box and restock
>> it.  The home theatre trappings are currently in a large space under the
>> stairs behind the TV, so that would seem an ideal place for a “back end”?
>>
>> Do there happen to be any members in the Epsom area in Auckland whom I
>> might contact for a meeting and advice?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Welcome aboard Peter. Please tell us the specs of the best of your older
> machines, and we'll do our best to assess if it will work. It should do.

Just checked, my mythtv backend has the following cpu:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4500  @ 2.20GHz

It has 4G Ram. It is an HP workstation I got from trademe. It has served me
well. It has a lot of other duties like serving (non mythtv) media to 3 or
four machines in the house, running a bittorrent client, various other
server duties. It's real beauty is it has lots of SATA ports and space for
hard drives, so when I run out of space, I add a new drive.