[mythtvnz] TiVo replacement

Rory Grant rorzer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 05:26:53 GMT 2017

Hi Peter,

I'd second the advice for HDHomeRun if you have good terrestrial reception
at your place.

MythTV works in a server/client format.  This means that it has a backend
server, and a frontend.  Both of these can run on a single machine.  You
can also have other frontends attached on the network.  This has two great
advantages -
1. You can watch TV in a different room without having to run a coax aerial
cable.
2. You can watch live TV and recordings from anywhere in the house.

Your backend does not have to be high end.  For instance, I am running a
Backend/Frontend Mythbuntu machine with an AMD Athlon 64X2 processor and
4GB of DDR2 ram that is approximately 10 years old.

For the frontend, you want something with a graphics card that will drive
your 1080p HDMI screen.  On Linux, that means something with supported
Hardware acceleration.  When I was putting my machine together a few years
ago, that meant NVIDIA 600 series or above.  That may or may not still be
true.

You can use MythTV's native frontend, but I have moved over to using Kodi
as a frontend.  This runs acceptably even on a Raspberry Pi Model 1 B.

If you are using an HDHomeRun you don't even need coax to your backend,
just network.

In summary, there is a lot of setting up required to get a owrking MythTV
install compared to a consumer box like the TiVo, but once it's up and
running it is very versatile.

HTH,

Rory