[mythtvnz] TiVo replacement

Peter Charlesworth peter at charlesworth.nz
Mon Mar 6 02:14:27 GMT 2017

Robert,

Just to let you know that your advice, generously given on Geekzone, has
been followed by one budding MythTV follower.  I'm currently trying to get
my head around all the terms and descriptions I am encountering, which I am
not familiar with, but I think I can get up to speed with some assistance.

Regarding the hardware, we have an old but effective "home theatre" set-up,
currently running through the TiVo for TV input.  The TV has HDMI, the
system has access to our fibre broadband, and the aerial is UHF.  The PC
side is where I will probably have to build from scratch, and although we
have a couple of defunct desktop towers, I doubt that any of the contents
will make the grade.  Perhaps I can use an old box and restock it.  The home
theatre trappings are currently in a large space under the stairs behind the
TV, so that would seem an ideal place for a "back end"?

Do there happen to be any members in the Epsom area in Auckland whom I might
contact for a meeting and advice?

Regards,

Peter