[mythtvnz] Further advice on set-up

Duncan Kennington duncan.kennington at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 23:02:13 BST 2017

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 at 09:20 Robert Fisher <robert at fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On 23 April 2017 at 11:34, Peter Charlesworth <peter at charlesworth.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Having now progressed some distance down the path of my MythTV set-up, I
>> have reached a couple of impasses, and would appreciate some further advice.
>>

>>    1. I have successfully “reconfigured” an old computer, keeping the
>>    original 500GB hard drive, but installing new motherboard, CPU, SSD and 3TB
>>    HD.  I have downloaded Ubuntu, now booting from the SSD, and have
>>    successfully partitioned the hard drives. Following the instructions on the
>>    MythTV wiki, I have downloaded the “MythTV Backend Master” package, since I
>>    wish to use this computer as a separate backend, and this process seemed to
>>    complete without any problems.  However, when I attempt to follow the next
>>    instructions for “Configuring MythTV” and “MythTV backend setup” (via
>>    either the terminal or the Display Manager) the process fails.  The
>>    instructions say that I will be prompted for Country and Language, but this
>>    does not happen, and I cannot see how to proceed further.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest what I can do to advance my situation here?
>>

> I suggest that for a "newbie" it might be a good idea to try Mythbuntu. It
> is no longer under development but the OS (Ubuntu) and the core application
> (MythTV) still is. You install Mythbuntu and choose your options. I believe
> that there are many people on this list who use it and would be happy to
> help.
>
> It might also be better for you to give us a better description of "the
> process fails" - what did you try to do and what exactly happened?
>

>>    1. Any other suggestions of options for a frontend would also be
>>    greatly appreciated.
>>
>> There are many options for you to use as frontends and previous
> comments/answers are valid.
> A small quiet computer with appropriate hardware and using MythTV frontend
> software as the GUI is one option.
> I have the following frontends:-
>
>    1. An old computer running LibreELEC (Just enough OS for Kodi) in my
>    garage/gym.
>    2. A Mi Box with Kodi for the patio or spa pool.
>    3. A Nexus Player with Kodi in the lounge.
>    4. An Intel NUC running LibreELEC in the living room
>    5. A FireTV with Kodi in my bedroom
>    6. My PC with LinuxMint and MythTV
>    7. And I have even used Kodi on my phone (There is an Android MythTV
>    app but I prefer Kodi).

For those wondering about using a Raspberry Pi as a frontend, I have been
using a Pi 3B like that suggested from PB Tech using OSMC with Kodi and the
MythTV PVR addin for most of this year.  It has adequate horsepower to play
Freeview HD recordings and more than enough for SD content.  It can manage
time stretch (what Kodi calls Tempo Up) but skipping around in content
which is timestretched is a bit beyond its capabilities.  I might get away
with it if I overclocked and added active cooling, it is very close to
being able to handle it.

I have not tried running the native Myth Frontend on the Pi, the Kodi
experience is significantly better; unfortunately development on
mythfrontend has been fairly stagnant for the last couple years.

And as stated above, Android tablets, phones and any number of other
devices can run Kodi (far more than can run the MythFrontend).

Cheers,
Duncan