[mythtvnz] Further advice on set-up

Robert Fisher robert at fisher.net.nz
Sun Apr 23 22:19:51 BST 2017

On 23 April 2017 at 11:34, Peter Charlesworth <peter at charlesworth.nz> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Having now progressed some distance down the path of my MythTV set-up, I
> have reached a couple of impasses, and would appreciate some further advice.
>

>    1. I have successfully “reconfigured” an old computer, keeping the
>    original 500GB hard drive, but installing new motherboard, CPU, SSD and 3TB
>    HD.  I have downloaded Ubuntu, now booting from the SSD, and have
>    successfully partitioned the hard drives. Following the instructions on the
>    MythTV wiki, I have downloaded the “MythTV Backend Master” package, since I
>    wish to use this computer as a separate backend, and this process seemed to
>    complete without any problems.  However, when I attempt to follow the next
>    instructions for “Configuring MythTV” and “MythTV backend setup” (via
>    either the terminal or the Display Manager) the process fails.  The
>    instructions say that I will be prompted for Country and Language, but this
>    does not happen, and I cannot see how to proceed further.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I can do to advance my situation here?

I suggest that for a "newbie" it might be a good idea to try Mythbuntu. It
is no longer under development but the OS (Ubuntu) and the core application
(MythTV) still is. You install Mythbuntu and choose your options. I believe
that there are many people on this list who use it and would be happy to
help.

It might also be better for you to give us a better description of "the
process fails" - what did you try to do and what exactly happened?

>    1. Any other suggestions of options for a frontend would also be
>    greatly appreciated.
>
> There are many options for you to use as frontends and previous
comments/answers are valid.
A small quiet computer with appropriate hardware and using MythTV frontend
software as the GUI is one option.
I have the following frontends:-

   1. An old computer running LibreELEC (Just enough OS for Kodi) in my
   garage/gym.
   2. A Mi Box with Kodi for the patio or spa pool.
   3. A Nexus Player with Kodi in the lounge.
   4. An Intel NUC running LibreELEC in the living room
   5. A FireTV with Kodi in my bedroom
   6. My PC with LinuxMint and MythTV
   7. And I have even used Kodi on my phone (There is an Android MythTV app
   but I prefer Kodi).

--
Robert Fisher