[mythtvnz] Schedules Direct vs epg.org.nz vs tv_grab_nz-py

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 04:17:55 BST 2016

[I work for Schedules Direct]

Just re-reading my own messages. "You", not accusatory, but more in
the sense of "this is what I care about".

"If only the program information for {program}, which originates in
the U.S. but I watch on {stationID} was less generic / better than
what I have now, that would be great."

If I can get some input on where the data that you're getting from
Schedules Direct seems like it could be better (if it's a U.S.
program), then I can focus my efforts on the programs that people
actually watch. It will help me create a cross-reference table to make
sure that the better metadata is included in the AU/NZ feed. Once I
understand the pattern of what's being provided by the broadcasters
about the episodes they intend to broadcast that will help fill in
those less-than-satisfactory gaps.

If a US-based program ended up with a "APNZ" programID, that means
that the auto-match failed. The more I know about the failures, the
easier it is for me to fix. (If "NZ" or "AU" is in the programID, it
means we had to locally generate instead of pulling the data from the
master database)

Please don't be shy about opening tickets with Schedules Direct. I
have seen multiple mentions of "{foo} is wrong" in this mailing list
that don't end up as a ticket, so it's doesn't become an action item
on our ticket system.

I am happy to discuss things in this forum, but the trouble ticket
system is precisely for some of these issues, like missing stations,
or incorrect names for stations, or who the primary presenter /
newsreader is for a particular program. If it's not a ticket, it
doesn't go back to the AU/NZ office to get figured out, and that means
that our upstream in the antipodes doesn't know that there's an issue.

Believe it or not, a broadcaster may say, "We are going to broadcast
{foo} at time {bar}" and then change their mind, but not inform our
upstream. We would like the data that we provide to be as accurate as
possible, and the sooner that we know that there's an issue, the
quicker we can reduce the turn-around time where we can ask a
broadcaster: You said you were going to show {foo}, but now it's
{bar}? What are you actually going to put on the wire? (And why didn't
you tell us that you changed the schedule?)"

Bob
[Schedules Direct]