[mythtvnz] Recommendations for a new DVB-T tuner? (Not HDHR)

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Mon May 30 02:15:27 BST 2016

On 30/05/16 12:01, Jonathan Hoskin wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM, David Moore <dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
> <mailto:dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz>> wrote:
>
>     Elgato diversity looks interesting and can be bought for a
>     reasonable price but not sure if it is supported in Linux and/or
>     if the diversity function is supported.
>

> That's one of the models I used to use. Works out of the box on Linux;
> it just shows up as two separate tuners. As dual tuners they work fine
> as long as you have moderate-good signal strength.
>
> The diversity stuff is some kind of magical fairy-dust that only works
> with the Elgato proprietary software.
>
> More here: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Elgato_EyeTV_diversity

Thanks Johnathan. My googlefu failed when I looked for the diversity
model on linuxtv. Good to know it works. I would think it should work at
least as well, if not better than, a typical dual tuner card/stick
because it has two RF inputs and therefore no internal splitter loss. My
HVR2200 dual tuner was OK with a cheap indoor antenna so the eyetv
should also cope unless it has a truly terrible RF front end.

In a former life I was a microwave system engineer so the diversity
feature appeals to me but I can live without it. Actually I probably can
use it since I have a Mac Mini which I believe supports the Elgato software.