[mythtvnz] Just sooo disgusted with Sky...

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Fri May 20 11:50:39 BST 2016

On 20/05/16 14:07, steve wrote:
> ... as I leave it to SWMBO to pay the bills, I've only just found out
> how much we're paying to re-re-re-watch the same old crap.
>
> So, looking to build up some PVR system to incorporate online /
> satellite services... no digital terrestrial here!
>
> I was looking to build up a backend - as I've got plenty of linux grunt
> and storage lying around, just not in the living room - and use a
> TBS6905 card and a couple of dishes - Optus D1 and D2, along with
> Netflix etc. Comments on card choice?
>
> I was also wondering if you've ever need 4 tuners? Anyone got experience
> with this??? Will 2 be enough?
>
> I have a wee solidrun for the frontend, and will be using a harmony
> remote, from what I've read lately (:
>
> Pointers , personal experience / war stories gratefully received.

Personally, its TV.  I don't really care if its in HD or SD, 99% of
stuff is kid's crap and movies for Mrs Criggie.

Online/streaming services aren't really a part of myth.  Probably cos
there's a lot too much variability in how they're provided, plus
copyright issues will always be there... I doubt "timeshifting" is a
justifiable excuse for recording, when the content is streamed on-demand!

Can you even reliably watch a stream at home?   I do recall the number
of grumbles from your corner of the harbour about DSL and vodafone.

If you had snottingly good connectivity at home, you could put your
backend elsewhere to your frontend(s), like on the Town side of the hill.

I have two older DVB-S tuners and that's all you need for Satellite
service, plus a dish / LNB etc.

Satellite is always Standard Definition, but its still digital so looks
okay.
Terrestrial can be High Def or SD.  But the content may be HD or
up-scaled SD.... its not like MASH is in 1080!

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/