[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jul 31 10:02:01 BST 2016

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 15:59:15 +1200, you wrote:

>I started on this again this morning but was interrupted by a 5 hour
>powercut.
>First I changed tuning timeout from 3000 to 10000 as suggested and then
>created the additional.args file.
>I selected a program in the guide and chose the "watch" option and the
>tuner worked perfectly.
>Then I selected "record" and that works too.I did this several times and
>it seems ok now.It was using the tuner card not the HDHR.
>I wonder if the tuning timeout was responsible for this.
>I will do some more testing over the next few days.I have a copy of
>mythbackend.log on google drive,the link below should allow you to access
>it.
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhVHdKN29obmpBWUU
>
>There may be messages relating to the recordings database due to switching
>the drive between the 2 OS versions.

That all seems fine - a normal LiveTV session.  So I am wondering if
your original problem may have been caused by a bad chanid as the
DefaultChanid setting.  That is the channel that is tuned when you go
to Watch TV from the main menu.  If you do not use Live TV much, you
can have a problem where the channel that was last watched has
disappeared from the database since then, due to the usual churn of
channels.  MythTV does not check for that and just tries to tune
whatever channel is in the DefaultChanid setting.  And on deleting a
channel, it does not check DefaultChanid to see if it is set to the
deleted channel.  Going to Live TV by selecting a channel from the
Guide gets around the bad DefaultChanid problem, if it exists.

>One more question you may be able to answer: When I boot the system I get
>mythbackend settings utility starting (every time) what do I do to stop
>this?

This is likely the fix:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2329744

But there may be an underlying problem as I thought that Mythbuntu was
supposed to remove that autostart entry automatically when the
configuration was updated and mythbackend was able to be started.  I
have never found any script that would do that though.