[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 04:59:15 BST 2016

> It looks like I was wrong about where the problem lies. Since you
> have only one real tuner card, even though it has dual tuners, it will
> never move its address around. The HDHR tuners are Ethernet, so they
> do not show up as hardware devices in /dev/dvb. So there is no need
> for adapter_nr settings unless you ever add another standard tuner.
>
> The settings from the capturecard table look fine except for the
> channel_timeout value (3000), which is way too small for DVB-T here in
> New Zealand. In versions before 0.28, mythbackend recovered from that
> and managed to tune channels anyway, but took longer than necessary as
> it could retry several times. In 0.28, it can fail to ever tune
> properly, so those settings need to all be increased. I am using
> 10000 ms, and that seems to work well. TV3 can take between 7 and 8
> seconds to tune. However, that is unlikely to explain your symptoms,
> it is just another problem you would have had later in getting 16.04
> working properly. You change those values in mythtv-setup => Capture
> Cards. On each tuner there, on the first page of its settings, change
> the "Tuning timeout" from 3000 to 10000. That same change should also
> be done for your old 12.04 setup - it should make tuning work faster
> there too.
>
> It looks like we need to see full logs of what is going on. So you
> will probably need to set the "-v record" log option on mythbackend.
> In 16.04, to work with systemd, that is done in a different way from
> previously. In the /etc/mythtv directory, create a file
> "additional.args" if it does not exist. Give it mythtv group and user
> (chown mythtv:mythtv additional.args). Change its permissions to make
> it only writeable by its user (chmod a=r,u=rw additional.args). In
> that file, you put one line with additional arguments that get added
> on to the end of the mythbackend command line, so put the -v record
> there.
>
> Then restart mythbackend (systemctl restart mythtv-backend) and try
> tuning a channel - one of the SD ones as they tune more easily, so
> Prime or ChoiceTV are good ones to try. Then stop mythbackend
> (systemctl stop mythtv-backend) and post a copy of the section of
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log that contains all the output from just
> that run of mythbackend. To find where a run of mythbackend starts in
> the log, search for the text "mythbackend version:" which is on the
> first line mythbackend logs when it starts. The last thing that
> mythbackend logs when it shuts down is normally a line saying "Waiting
> for threads to exit.". The log will likely be way too big to post in
> an email, so putting it somewhere like pastebin.com is the way to go,
> unless you have a web server of your own you can put it on.

I started on this again this morning but was interrupted by a 5 hour
powercut.
First I changed tuning timeout from 3000 to 10000 as suggested and then
created the additional.args file.
I selected a program in the guide and chose the "watch" option and the
tuner worked perfectly.
Then I selected "record" and that works too.I did this several times and
it seems ok now.It was using the tuner card not the HDHR.
I wonder if the tuning timeout was responsible for this.
I will do some more testing over the next few days.I have a copy of
mythbackend.log on google drive,the link below should allow you to access
it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhVHdKN29obmpBWUU

There may be messages relating to the recordings database due to switching
the drive between the 2 OS versions.

One more question you may be able to answer: When I boot the system I get
mythbackend settings utility starting (every time) what do I do to stop
this?

I got more familiar with navigating mysql too :)

Thanks for the help.