[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu 16.04 user experiences

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jul 22 07:41:23 BST 2016

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:59:21 +1200, you wrote:

>>> I have a quick question: are database backups from 0.27 compatible with
>>> 0.28?
>>
>> That depends on what you mean by compatible.  There are quite
>> significant changes in the database schema between 0.27 and 0.28, such
>> as the addition of a recordedid field as the primary index for the
>> recorded table.  So the individual tables and rows from tables where
>> there are changes like that are incompatible.  Hence the output of
>> mythexport from 0.27 will not work with mythimport in 0.28.  But if
>> you do a full restore of a 0.27 database into a 0.28 system, that will
>> be detected when mythtv-setup or mythbackend is run, and the 0.27
>> database will be automatically upgraded to a 0.28 one.

>Would the correct procedure for a newly installed Mythbuntu 16.04 be to do
>a full DB restore before or after manually setting up the various settings
>on Myth backend and myth frontend?

Restore the database before you adjust any settings that are stored in
the database, as restoring the database will overwrite anything you
already have in the existing database on the new system with what is
in the restored database.  A restore of the database is a complete
restore - it literally deletes the existing database and installs a
full database from the backup copy.  If the backup copy says it is an
older database schema, the first program to read the database and
discover that will automatically update it to the current schema.
However, mythfrontend can not do that - only mythtv-setup and
mythbackend can.  So the best option after restoring a database with
an older schema is to run mythtv-setup as it has more control about
schema updates - it asks if it is to go ahead and do it.  Running
mythbackend works, but just does the update automatically without
telling you about it.  And if your database is large (like mine), do
not worry if the first run of mythtv-setup or mythbackend takes ages
before it is ready, because it will be taking that time doing the
schema update.  You can keep track of what is happening by doing a
"tail -f" command on the relevant log file in /var/log/mythtv
(mythtv-setup.log or mythbackend.log).

If necessary, you may need to set up the settings outside the database
before doing a restore of an older database, such as the mysql
settings to allow access outside the PC and the config.xml file(s).
This is especially necessary if you are using a backend that does not
also have a frontend on it to allow you access.

And the users and permissions for access to the mythcoverg database
are not stored in the mythconverg database - they are stored in the
mysql database, so they do not get backed up and restored.  So you may
need to set them up also to allow access from other than the local PC.
The MythTV manual has how to do that:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source

See the "MythTV Database Setup" section.