[mythtvnz] HDHomeRun reception issues

Rob Connolly rob at webworxshop.com
Wed Jul 13 10:08:16 BST 2016

On 13/07/16 06:59, Paulgir wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 22:41:09 +1200, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/07/16 22:27, don at robertson.net.nz wrote:
>>> I get pixelated images and distortions and stuff every now and again.
>>> Can't figure out what the reason is. Doesn't seem be weather, sometimes
>>> switching it on and off fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. I've moved it
>>> from place to place to get it away from other cables, and that seems to
>>> fix it - for a while.
>>
>> Sounds like digital distortion, staircase effects etc.
>>
>>> All the googling I've done suggests it is poor signal quality, and the
>>> channels I get the problems with show a signal strength of 88%. The
>>> others are 90-95%. Not sure what it is 90% of, though ... or if that is
>>> significant. And those are the levels when everything seems fine -
>>> after
>>> something didn't record.
>>>
>>> It only happens occasionally, and if it gets to be a problem, I'll take
>>> a look at the cable between the aerial and the splitter, the
>>> connections
>>> on the aerial and that sort of stuff. I suspect that is where the
>>> problem is. Some of the original cable is pretty poor quality - we have
>>> one aerial jack that gets no reception at all.
>>

>> Sounds like your aerial cabling is a little marginal... good enough for
>> a strong receiver but not quite there for a slightly weaker receiver.
>>
>> Can you take the HDHR to someone else's place with a great signal and
>> see how it works?
>>
>> There's a bunch of aerial installers, but they all cost money.  However
>> you'll get the best signal possible, in a lot less time than doing it
>> yourself.
>>

>> In a perfect install you'd have a single aerial per device, with no
>> splitters, and one single run of cable with no sharp bends and no
>> joiners.
>>

> I have an HDHR and a Haupauge and am in a fringe signal area.I can
> confirm that bad weather can cause these symptoms.I improved things by
> removing some trees and fine tuning the aerial direction.I used my TVs
> signal strength display to do this.I have an inline signal strength
> meter but the TV is more precise.I tuned for best gain and best
> quality.It is possible to have high signal gain and crap signal quality.
>
> -Paul

Somehow Don's initial reply seemed to disappear into the ether for me. I
had to look it up on Gossamer Threads.

It seems like my signal strength is fine. The HDHR signal meter app
shows 95-100%, but my signal quality fluctuates. Sometimes this is
between 90% and 60% and back again in the space of a couple of seconds.

Thanks for the tips everyone, looks like I'll be climbing on the roof
over the weekend.

Cheers,

Rob