[mythtvnz] HDHomeRun reception issues

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:59:44 BST 2016

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 22:41:09 +1200, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 12/07/16 22:27, don at robertson.net.nz wrote:
>> I get pixelated images and distortions and stuff every now and again.
>> Can't figure out what the reason is. Doesn't seem be weather, sometimes
>> switching it on and off fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. I've moved it
>> from place to place to get it away from other cables, and that seems to
>> fix it - for a while.
>
> Sounds like digital distortion, staircase effects etc.
>
>> All the googling I've done suggests it is poor signal quality, and the
>> channels I get the problems with show a signal strength of 88%. The
>> others are 90-95%. Not sure what it is 90% of, though ... or if that is
>> significant. And those are the levels when everything seems fine - after
>> something didn't record.
>>
>> It only happens occasionally, and if it gets to be a problem, I'll take
>> a look at the cable between the aerial and the splitter, the connections
>> on the aerial and that sort of stuff. I suspect that is where the
>> problem is. Some of the original cable is pretty poor quality - we have
>> one aerial jack that gets no reception at all.
>

> Sounds like your aerial cabling is a little marginal... good enough for
> a strong receiver but not quite there for a slightly weaker receiver.
>
> Can you take the HDHR to someone else's place with a great signal and
> see how it works?
>
> There's a bunch of aerial installers, but they all cost money.  However
> you'll get the best signal possible, in a lot less time than doing it
> yourself.
>

> In a perfect install you'd have a single aerial per device, with no
> splitters, and one single run of cable with no sharp bends and no
> joiners.

I have an HDHR and a Haupauge and am in a fringe signal area.I can confirm
that bad weather can cause these symptoms.I improved things by removing
some trees and fine tuning the aerial direction.I used my TVs signal
strength display to do this.I have an inline signal strength meter but the
TV is more precise.I tuned for best gain and best quality.It is possible
to have high signal gain and crap signal quality.

-Paul