[mythtvnz] Pine64 as a frontend

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Aug 9 03:02:01 BST 2016

On Wed, July 20, 2016 4:01 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Michael West <michael at iposs.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Pine 64 is very new and the cpu and gpu may have issues with most
>> opensource drivers.  Allwinner cpu is not meant to be well supported by
>> kodi for acceleration.  Gpu is more powerful than pi but the open source
>> drivers for it is currently a dead end and may only work well with
>> android
>> os builds and not linux/openelec builds.
>>
>> So you end up with something theoretically better and cheaper but with
>> very little that will run on it right now.
>>

> Indeed, and that makes a strong contrast to RPi, one of the kodi devs is
> an
> RPi Foundation employee and knows the chipset backwards and inside out.
> That is why kodi performance on an RPi is so good.
>
> Pine64 is a nice platform, but nowhere near as mature as a pi.

I've got a colleague who's tried Linux and Android on the Pine64. Android
works well as the video is all accelerated, but performance of Kodi etc
under Linux was an issue due to poor support for the Allwinner chipset.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone on list has a better experience.

Steven

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz